If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Strawberries and goat cheese taste so great together. In trying to think how I could pair them, I remembered my Ricotta, Feta and Mint Layers with Honeyed Blood Oranges post. I changed a few ingredients to complement the strawberries and chevre. I’m glad I made a half-batch for breakfast this morning, because I’m sure I would’ve eaten the full batch myself. Serve with crackers (like my Lemon Pepper Shortbread Crackers) or crostini. This could easily be a dessert, cheese course, or part of a lovely breakfast. My recipe is adapted from Ricotta and Caprino Layered with Fresh Basil Leaves, from the cookbook My Italian Garden by Viana La Place.
Serves 3 or more
- 4 ounces chevre, or other good quality goat cheese
- 4 ounces ricotta
- large bunch of fresh mint leaves
- olive oil
- sea salt or kosher salt
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- 1 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon aceto balsamico di Modena
- In a shallow bowl or dish, mash together the chevre and the ricotta with the back of a fork.
- Lightly oil a 3” x 6” mini loaf pan with olive oil.
- Or use MrsWheelbarrow's alternate extraction method and line the mini loaf pan with plastic wrap. (Thanks for the tip, MrsW!)
- Spread 1/3 of the cheese mixture into the bottom of the pan. Cover with a single layer of mint leaves, and gently press them into the cheese. Drizzle with honey and sprinkle with sea salt. Continue with another layer of cheese, followed by a layer of mint leaves, drizzle of honey and sprinkle of sea salt. Spread the last layer of cheese on top, another drizzle of honey and a sprinkle of sea salt. Place a piece of plastic wrap on the top layer of cheese to keep it moist, or gather up the overhanging plastic.
- Refrigerate for a half hour.
- Remove cheese from refrigerator. Combine the strawberries, sugar, black pepper to taste, lemon zest and aceto balsamico. Stir together gently and let macerate for a few minutes.
- Remove or unwrap top layer of plastic wrap from the cheese. Invert the mini loaf pan onto a serving dish. Spoon strawberries over top.
- Garnish with additional fresh mint leaves. Serve with crackers or crostini.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Strawberries
You Pinned, We Listened
This Month's Top 10 Pinterest Recipes
This month's most pinned recipes.
Food blog links we love.
7 food-filled honeymoons.
The best camping foods.
Savor the season.