If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The classic grilled cheese sandwich is made dessert-ready with angel food cake, balsamic strawberries and brie. If you’re not making angel food cake from scratch, you can buy it pre-made from your local supermarket. Some markets will carry “angel food bars” which are essentially loaves, and these are easier to slice into uniform pieces than the characteristic ringed cakes. Angel food cake also grills beautifully, and because of its small crumb, yields an even golden-brown crust. Flexing your creative muscles can be very, very delicious. - Furey and the Feast
- 1 pint strawberries
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 12 to 16 ounces Brie
- 8 slices angel food cake, about 1/2-inch thick
- 1/3 cup melted unsalted butter
- Powdered sugar (garnish)
- Whipped cream (garnish)
- Rinse strawberries and pat dry, then slice in the halves or quarters, depending on size of strawberries. Place in a medium bowl with balsamic vinegar and sugar. Mix to coat, and set aside for 30 minutes, stirring once to redistribute syrup.
- Slice rind off of brie. (This is a little tricky, given the brie can be gooey and hard to work with. Make sure the brie is chilled rather than room temperature, as will help a bit.) Once rind is removed, slice brie into 1/2-inch thick chunks.
- Heat a nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Brush butter on one side of angel food cake slice, and position it butter-side down on a cutting board or other work surface. Arrange chunks of brie and a few balsamic strawberries on slice, then top with another slice of angel food cake, brushing the top with melted butter.
- Grill sandwich in pan for about 3 to 4 minutes. Flip sandwich over, and use spatula to press down, to flatten slightly, so all ingredients meld together. Grill for an additional 3 to 4 minutes, or until slice is uniformly golden brown.
- To serve: Cut each sandwich into two triangles, and serve warm with remaining balsamic strawberries on the side. Garnish with powdered sugar and/or whipped cream, if desired.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Strawberries
Wooden Bird's House
For your feathered friends.
How to Make Macaroni and Cheese Without a Recipe
Gouda riddance to powdered cheese.
Cauliflower Gratin With Mornay Sauce
Style with a breeze.
Easter Baskets for Loved Ones Who Sometimes Annoy You
Sure to put somebunny out of business.