If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe comes from back in the day when panty-hose were invented because skirts got so short! It was shared by my friend, the late (sadly) Barbara Cooper, who made these cookies for all her special friends. This recipe is part of her legacy. I added the rum. The cookies stay soft because of the cooked, soaked raisins, and the raisins also stay soft. - ChefJune
Makes 6 - 7 dozen
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup dark rum
- 3/4 cups unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks)
- 1 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, lightly packed
- 2 extra large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (I use Nielsen-Massey)
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Rumford's baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon Saigon cinnamon (I use Vann's)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 2 cups rolled oats (not the quick kind)
- the previously prepared raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped, toasted walnuts
- Simmer raisins and rum over low heat until raisins are plump (about 20-30 minutes). Drain liquid into measuring cup. Add water (or rum) to make 1/2 cup of liquid
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cream butter and sugar. Stir in eggs and vanilla until well mixed. Stir in the raisin liquid.
- Mix all the dry ingredients except oats and nuts together and add to butter mixture:
- Stir in the oats, raisins and nuts. At this point, you can refrigerate the dough overnight, but be sure to let it warm up a bit before making the cookies.
- Drop rounded teaspoons of dough about 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake in the preheated oven for 8 - 10 minutes. Cool on cake racks.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Walnuts
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Road Trip Snack
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cereal
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish