If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: So all this cold weather is making me think of yummy fall recipes - this is one of my favourites. It's a variation on my a salad that my awesome aunt in the South of France makes. The butternut squash though, makes it nice and appropriate for autumn weather, and pairs well with soup and lots of crusty bread. - Quoo
- 4 eggs
- 4 cups arugula
- .5 butternut sqash
- 4 slices of speck
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Slice the squash in half lengthwise, saving one half for later (or, as i frequently do, I'll roast one half the night before, and save the other half for this salad).
- Salt and pepper the squash liberally.
- Roast the pepper in the oven, cut side up for 30-40 minutes, until soft.
- Set aside the squash for a few minutes to cool, it's really too hot to do anything with right now.
- Wash the arugula, dry, toss in the apple cider vinegar, and place a cup on each plate.
- Tear a slice of speck into strips, one for each plate, and place on top of arugula.
- The squash should be a bit cooler now, so using a fork, dig out the fleshy part of the squash and place some on each place, about half a cup.
- Poach an egg for each plate of salad. Poaching eggs can be tricky, I really like Julia Child's method for when I'm attempting to poach eggs before drinking coffee - she pokes a hole in the egg with a needle, poaches it for 20 seconds in the shell, then breaks the egg into the water to poach the rest of the way. Be careful not to over poach your eggs, the runny yolk makes the awesome yummy 'dressing' for this salad, so you'll want that.
- Place a poached egg on top of each salad, salt and and pepper to taste, and serve immediately.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Brunch Eggs
These Ballads Are Bananas
Our favorite food-centric songs.
A feast for the ears.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
We're woven this backpack.