If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This simple side dish gives a cool note to summer suppers and works well with salmon or lamb. I prefer the crisp crunch of an English cucumber to the waxy ones that require peeling. You may substitute sour cream for the yogurt. Any mild-flavored vinegar can be used in this warm weather recipe. Sweet onions tend to run large so a half will do. Dill and lemon came from my garden. - Lizthechef —Lizthechef
Food52 Review: The success of this recipe lies in the details: salting the cucumber and onion slices to keep them from getting soggy and soften the sting of the onion, augmenting the sweet tang of the yogurt with a dash of vinegar and a bit of sugar, and adding Meyer lemon zest and fresh dill to achieve subtle layers of perfume. The resulting dish is cooling and crisp -- as Lizthechef says, it would go particularly well with either fish or lamb. - A&M —The Editors
- 1 organic English cucumber (about one lb-sized)
- 1/2 Vidalia onion, peeled
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon organic cane sugar
- 1/2 cup best quality Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- zest of one Meyer lemon
- Slice the cucumber and onion as thinly as possible. Place slices in a colander, sprinkle with the salt, stir and seat the colander over a bowl to catch the released liquid. Refrigerate for one hour.
- Discard the extra liquid and now rinse the salt from the cucumber and onion. Drain well and pat the slices dry using kitchen towels.
- Turn the cucumber and onion into a medium-sized bowl and add the sugar and vinegar, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Fold in the yogurt, dill and lemon zest. Chill for an hour, stir again (juices will have settled) and serve.
- Your Best Cucumber Recipe Contest Winner!
Forget Green Pesto
Here's why red is rad
Green pesto is so last summer.
Last day for free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
7 food-filled honeymoons.
Beet greens can't be beat.
Savor the season.