Author Notes: Ok, so it's funny that I created a cold avocado soup for the recent Food52 potluck based off a cold cucumber soup that I'd had years ago at the Met (and by "years ago", I mean "10 years ago"). And now, this week's theme is cucumber. Tonight, for a neighborhood BBQ, I made the cold cucumber version of the soup. - lechef
- 8 cucumbers, peeled
- 1 cup chicken stock (I used my Zesty Herbed Chicken Broth)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons cayenne
- 1 tablespoon Fresh dill, finely chopped
- 1 bunch scallions
- salt and fresh pepper
- meat from a 1 to 1-1/2 lb lobster
- 1/2 lemon
- Cut the cucumbers down the middle, twice, to create spears. Run your knife over the seeds and discard the majority. Leaving a few won't be a problem, but get rid of most of them.
- If not using my Zesty Herbed Chicken Broth, use standard chicken stock and simmer 2 cups with a dried chipotle for 45 minutes to infuse with the smoke flavor. Dried chipotle chili powder can be substituted if desired.
- Combine the stock and the cucumbers (in batches, if necessary) in a blender and blend well. Remove the roots from 4 of the scallions and drop them into the blender with the cucumber and stock. I had to do two batches, but I combined everything in a large mixing bowl and blended it again with a hand blender to make sure everything was mixed. Chill for at least 2 hours, until cold.
- When chilled and ready to serve, add the cayenne, dill, and cream to the soup, and fold together. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into bowls, and place a lump (about 1 oz) of lobster meat in the center. Sprinkle with chopped scallions, and finish with a squeeze of lemon juice. Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cucumber Recipe