If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Ok, so it's funny that I created a cold avocado soup for the recent Food52 potluck based off a cold cucumber soup that I'd had years ago at the Met (and by "years ago", I mean "10 years ago"). And now, this week's theme is cucumber. Tonight, for a neighborhood BBQ, I made the cold cucumber version of the soup. - lechef
- 8 cucumbers, peeled
- 1 cup chicken stock (I used my Zesty Herbed Chicken Broth)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons cayenne
- 1 tablespoon Fresh dill, finely chopped
- 1 bunch scallions
- salt and fresh pepper
- meat from a 1 to 1-1/2 lb lobster
- 1/2 lemon
- Cut the cucumbers down the middle, twice, to create spears. Run your knife over the seeds and discard the majority. Leaving a few won't be a problem, but get rid of most of them.
- If not using my Zesty Herbed Chicken Broth, use standard chicken stock and simmer 2 cups with a dried chipotle for 45 minutes to infuse with the smoke flavor. Dried chipotle chili powder can be substituted if desired.
- Combine the stock and the cucumbers (in batches, if necessary) in a blender and blend well. Remove the roots from 4 of the scallions and drop them into the blender with the cucumber and stock. I had to do two batches, but I combined everything in a large mixing bowl and blended it again with a hand blender to make sure everything was mixed. Chill for at least 2 hours, until cold.
- When chilled and ready to serve, add the cayenne, dill, and cream to the soup, and fold together. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into bowls, and place a lump (about 1 oz) of lobster meat in the center. Sprinkle with chopped scallions, and finish with a squeeze of lemon juice. Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cucumber Recipe
A Stuffable Side Dish
Artichokes filled with capers and anchovies.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Save Your Stems
Eclectic Truffle Chocolate Bars
Lunch, in a Pinch.