If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: In Italy the cabbage family is quite varied and under Kale, the Cavolo nero and the Cavolo Verza are the most used in cooking.This recipe calls for Savoy Cabbage leaves although you can use kale leaves instead. - Maria Teresa Jorge
- 1 Savoy Cabbage
- 1 Italian sausage fresh
- 2 boiled potatoes
- freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic
- 1/2 cup Pecorino cheese
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1/2 cup minced veal
- Wash, peel and boil 2 potatoes. mash the cooked potatoes with a fork or pass them through a ricer.
- Carefully remove the outer leaves of a Savoy cabbage (carefully so you don't tear them), wash them and blanch them. Set aside on a clean tea towel.
- Wash the remaining leaves (the inside of the cabbage), wash them, pat dry, cut off the thick stalk and cut the leaves in thin strips.
- In a sautée pan, add the olive oil and the garlic. When the garlic starts to sizzle, remove it and add the chopped cabbage leaves, cover the pan and let wilt.
- Remove the skin and crumble the fresh italian sausage and add it with the minced veal. Add the meat to the cabbage in small portions so it fries and not cooks in its own juices. Mix and let cook uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Add the mashed potatoes to the vegetables and meat, season with salt, freshly ground pepper and fresh thyme rubbed out of the twigs.
- Pre-heat oven to 400º (gas mark 6).
- Butter an individual muffin mold, line it with the thicker side of a blanched cabbage leaf, leaving the thinner part of the leaf outside.
- Fill with the potato, cabbage, meat and sausage filling and fold the remaining leaf over, tucking it in well.
- When all the cabbage leaves are finished, cook in the oven for 15 minutes.
- In the mean time, cut up the pecorino cheese in small pieces, add it with the cream in a small pan and melt over low heat.
- Serve each stuffed cabbage on an individual plate and pour some pecorino cheese sauce over it. Add a dash of freshly ground pepper and some freshly ground nutmeg.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Greens
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Way to Cook Greens
Jam is a Liquid
And other things to keep in mind when traveling with food.
Do not pack these foods in your carry-on.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Let's get chopping.
Macerated strawberries, with a twist.
That was a close shave.