If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I have a great passion for Indian food and over the years, many cookbooks and restaurants later you start to get the method and ingredients down and you start to come up with "in the style of" recipes all the time. This is an ad hoc recipe thrown together one weekend with friends in northern Indiana. It goes with all kinds of things from pork loin to lamb shoulder chops and even plain on pita bread. One note green apples seem to be to tannic to go with the yogurt so I would use something a little sweeter but still sour. I think if you can find good fuji apples they are great for this. - thirschfeld
Serves 4 to 6
- 1 cucumber, peeled seeded and 1/4 inch dice
- 1 apple, washed 1/4 inch dice
- 3/4 cup whole milk yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons Indian mustard oil
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, minced
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- In a mixing bowl combine the cucumber, apple and yogurt. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a small saute pan over high hear. Have a lid handy. Add the mustard oil and immediately add the cumin and mustard seeds. The mustard seeds will start to pop. Cover and turn off the heat.
- You don't want to burn the cumin so be careful. Add to the cucumber yogurt mix and stir to blend everything. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Add the cilantro just before serving. Stir and serve
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cucumber Recipe