If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: One of my favorite restaurants here in Huntington is the Mediterranean Snack Bar--a little hole-in-the-wall Greek restaurant that has been around for decades. It's one of those places that has a big slab of gyro meat roasting on a vertical rotisserie in the front window, stuccoed walls, not enough tables (There are lines out the door on Saturdays in the summer.), and Greek music playing in the background. The owner grows his own vegetables and catches his own fish, so everything is wonderful and fresh. When the tomatoes and cucumbers are at their peak, this is my favorite salad. Because there are so few ingredients, they have to be the absolute best and freshest. I make this in July when my CSA box is overflowing with tomatoes and cucumbers. Serve it with just-warmed pita and you have a great lunch. (Note: I like salad dressing that's on the tart side. If this is too tart for you, feel free to add more oil.) - drbabs
Serves 2, but i have been known to eat the whole thing in one sitting
For the salad
- 2 large tomatoes, cored and cut into approximately 2" pieces
- 2 large cucumbers, peeled and cut into chunks that are roughly the same size as the tomatoes
- 10-12 kalamata olives, pitted
- 2 tablespoons leaves of flat leaf parsley, left whole
- 4 ounces feta cheese, cut into cubes about the same size as the tomatoes and cucumbers
- salt and pepper to taste
For the dressing
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup good olive oil
- Arrange the salad ingredients on a platter. Whisk the dressing ingredients together (or just put everything into a jar and shake well), and sprinkle the dressing over the salad. Pour extra dressing into a bowl so you can dip your pita into it. Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Portable Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cucumber Recipe
Our latest fixations.
The recipes we've tested and loved.
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
What's in, what's out.
Wedding registry must haves.