If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My five-year old daughter loves Japanese soba (buckwheat noodles). I came up with this recipe while trying to please her as well as use some baby root vegetables from my CSA box. The nuttiness of the noodles complements the earthy baby root vegetables. The cucumbers add a delicious crunch. Small white turnips and turnip greens would also be delicious additions. —gingerroot
Serves 5-6 as a light lunch
For the salad
- 2 bundles soba noodles (from 10.58 oz/300 g package)
- 3 baby carrots, washed, peeled, ends trimmed
- 3 baby beets, washed peeled, ends trimmed
- 1 japanese cucumber, halved lengthwise, seeded and cut into 1-inch matchsticks
- 1 bunch beet greens, roughly chopped
For the dressing
- 4 tablespoons fresh carrot juice
- 2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled, grated
- Cook soba noodles according to directions on package. Place chopped greens in colander. Drain soba into the same colander to wilt the greens. Rinse with cold water and toss to mix greens with noodles. Set aside and let drain.
- Peel baby carrots, beets. Using same peeler, continue to peel vegetables crosswise, making thin circular pieces. Place cucumber matchsticks, carrot and beet cuts in a bowl with ice water, letting vegetables sit for a few minutes until crisp. If ice is not available, place vegetables in a bowl with water and place in freezer for a few minutes. Drain vegetables.
- Combine dressing ingredients in a small bowl or jar and whisk to mix.
- Place noodles and greens in serving bowl. Fold in cut vegetables. Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat. Serve and enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Brown Bag Lunch
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cucumber Recipe
DIY Nutter Butters Are Better
Sandwich cookies that take peanut butter seriously
DIY Nutter Butters.
A toast to toast.
Shop our new office.
How to make bouillabaisse.
We give it 8 tentacles up.