If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I've been on a quest for a while to create a creamy dressing that my husband would enjoy. He has a strong aversion to the tanginess of sour cream and yogurt, products that are linked with cucumbers in many recipes. So silken tofu and coconut milk became the base for this recipe. - Amber Olsen —Amber Olson
Food52 Review: Amber Olsen makes a great creamy cucumber salad that is exactly what you need on a hot day. The cool mint plays off the chiles in the dressing very well. The crunchy, spicy peanuts are a terrific touch. - Stephanie
Serves a little over a cup of dressing, enough for maybe eight servings, but i'm writing the rest of the recipe for two servings
- 1 large refrigerator cold slicing cucumber, washed, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded and sliced into 1/4" to 1/2" thick slices
- Thai Hot Chile Oil
- 1 cup dry roasted peanuts
- 1/2 cup silken tofu
- 1/2 cup rich, creamy cold coconut milk
- 4 teaspoons minced lemongrass
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped mint
- 1 2" long serrano pepper, coarsely chopped
- 6 large mint leaves, finely julienned
- Place sliced cucumber in a colander over a bowl, sprinkle generously with salt and let sit in the refrigerator about 30 minutes or while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Put peanuts in a bowl and drizzle with the hot chile oil. Toss to coat all the nuts, then grind some nice sea salt over them. Toss again and set aside. Note: if you like really hot flavors, you could also sprinkle the nuts with a bit of cayenne to up the heat.
- Put the tofu, coconut milk, lemongrass, lime juice, salt, sugar, chopped mint and serrano pepper in a food processor and process until all the ingredients are blended well, scrapping down sides as needed.
- Turn the cucumbers out onto paper towels or a dish towel, blot with additional towels until the cukes are fairly dry of excess liquid. Put them in a bowl.
- For one cucumber, or two servings, use 1/4 cup of the dressing, toss, then add about 6 finely julienned mint leaves and 1/4 cup of the spicy peanuts. Toss again. Enjoy immediately or refrigerate for later.
- Some options: I think some unsweetened shredded coconut would be nice to add to this, and I can see some finely shredded carrot as a garnish on top of each serving.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cucumber Recipe