Author Notes: I love making this salad for a light supper during the summer. I enjoy making my food bright and colorful! - lizmiller06
For the salad
- 2 (6 inch) whole wheat pitas, split in half horizontally
- 8 oz. fresh mozzarella, chopped
- 2 large, firm, ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 English cucumber, unpeeled, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded, chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained & chopped
For the vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the pitas on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes or until crisp. Cool and break into small pieces.
- Combine the fresh mozzarella and next 7 ingredients (through capers) in a large bowl. Gently toss.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the lemon juice and remaining ingredients. Stir with a whisk.
- Pour vinaigrette over the salad. Add pita pieces to the bowl; toss gently. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Using Fresh Mozzarella