If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The secret to the creaminess of this mac' and cheese is the mozzarella and cream cheese blend. A hint of white wine adds a fresh aroma and flavor. The extra layer of mozzarella and toasted wheat germ creates a crusty topping that cracks when punctured with a serving spoon. I like to toast the wheat germ with minced garlic to develop the grain's naturally nutty flavor and sweeten the garlic. The golden crispy crust adds a tasty crunch to each and every bite of creamy pasta. The finished crunchy-creamy contrast is delectable. - Garden Gate Kate
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter for greasing baking dish
- 8 ounces whole wheat elbow macaroni
- 1 cup low-fat milk, at room temperature
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 2 large cage-free eggs
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, shredded
- sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter a baking dish with a tablespoon of butter.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions and drain well. Return to empty pot.
- Meanwhile, heat the milk, cream cheese, and white wine over low heat, stirring often, until very hot but not simmering, about 5 minutes. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs. Gradually whisk the hot milk into the eggs. Return the milk mixture to the saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until lightly thickened, but do not boil. Stir in three quarters of mozzarella cheese, and cook, stirring constantly, until cheese melts. Season to taste with sea salt and cracked black pepper. Stir the milk and mozzarella mixture into the macaroni. Transfer the macaroni and cheese to a baking dish.
- Heat extra virgin olive oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add wheat germ and garlic. Cook 3 minutes or until toasted and fragrant, stirring constantly.
- Sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella and the toasted wheat germ. Bake until bubbling and golden brown, about 35 minutes. Serve immediately.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Using Fresh Mozzarella