Author Notes: These fries are made from fresh potatoes and crisp perfectly in the oven for two reasons. Submerging the potato fries in water and completely drying them eliminates the excess starch so they can crisp. Brushing the fries with egg whites gives them a golden-crusty outside and tender inside without the use of oil. I leave on the potato skins for added taste and texture. Savory chili seasonings add spiciness while the applewood smoked bacon infuses the dish with a smoky, sweet flavor. The mozzarella melts over the fries browning the cheese along the edges. I like to top the mozzarella fries with scallions to add fresh color and taste. Dip the cheesy fries in creamy homemade ranch dressing hinted with tangy buttermilk for an explosion of delectable flavors. - Kiss the Cook
Serves 4 to 6
- extra-virgin olive oil for oiling pan
- 3 large baking potatoes, scrubbed
- 2 large cage-free egg white
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, shredded
- 6 thick slices applewood smoked, nitrate-free bacon, cooked crispy and crumbled
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
Creamy Ranch Dipping Sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- 2 tablespoon fresh dill, minced
- 2 tablespoon fresh chives, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 scallion, finely chopped
- sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Oil large baking sheet with the extra-virgin olive oil.
- Slice potatoes lengthwise into 1/2-inch thick slices. Turn each slice flat and slice again lengthwise into even fries, 1/2-inch thick. Place fries in a large pan and completely cover with water. Pour off water and pat thoroughly dry. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the egg white until very light and foamy. Add the potatoes and the chili powder to the egg whites and toss to coat evenly.
- Spread the coated potatoes on the prepared baking sheet, not touching. Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy. Halfway through the cooking time, with a spatula, scrape the potatoes from the baking sheet and turn.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees. Give the oven fries another scrape before topping with mozzarella. Top fries with mozzarella, applewood smoked bacon, and scallions. Bake for 4 minutes or until mozzarella is melted and bubbly.
- While fries are roasting, make creamy ranch dipping sauce. Combine together sour cream, buttermilk, parsley, dill, chives, garlic, scallion, sea salt, and cracked black pepper in a medium bowl. Keep refrigerated.
- Carefully remove mozzarella fries with a spatula to a large serving plate, or individual plates. Serve immediately with creamy ranch dipping sauce.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Using Fresh Mozzarella