If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Our salad was designed to be a summer alternative to the traditional eggplant parm that requires oven time. —City Share
- 1 cup Balsamic vinegar
- 1 small eggplant, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 6 ounces arugula
- 1 handful of basil, stems removed and torn into pieces
- olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella, cut into strips
- 2 tomatoes, cut into strips
- Pour the Balsamic vinegar into a sauce pot. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Let cool and place in sealed container. It should be the consistency of a thick syrup. If it gets too thick, it can be thinned with additional vinegar.
- Dredge an eggplant slice in the flour, then dip it in the egg, and finally dredge it in the breadcrumbs. Shake off any excess breading and transfer the eggplant to a wire rack. Repeat with the remaining eggplant. Allow the eggplant to dry for 15 minutes once all of the slices are finished. Pour the oil to a depth of 1/4 inch in a small saute pan. Once the oil is warm, work in small batches frying the eggplant slices until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Using tongs, transfer to a paper towel-lined baking sheet and season with salt to taste. Repeat with the remaining eggplant. Once cool, cut the eggplant slices into thirds.
- Place arugula and basil in a mixing bowl and toss with 2 T olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Layer the greens, eggplant strips, tomatoes, and fresh mozzarella on dinner plates. Drizzle the Balsamic vinegar reduction over the top.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Using Fresh Mozzarella
You Pinned, We Listened
This Month's Top 10 Pinterest Recipes
This month's most pinned recipes.
Food blog links we love.
7 food-filled honeymoons.
The best camping foods.
Savor the season.