If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This cake reminds me of the chocolate-covered cherries you used to buy your mother (and my girls still buy me, because they know I love them!) for Valentine's Day. It's rich, and it's decadent, and it's wonderful. I don't make it often, because it's such a production, but when I want a show-stopper dessert, this is it. —Kayb
- 2 cups halved, pitted fresh cherries
- 3 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, grated, divided
- Combine cherries, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1/2 cup water in a saucepan and cook over medium heat until cherries are softened. Cool and drain, reserving juice.
- Cream butter until light. Add sugar and whip until smooth. Add eggs and vanilla, along with 2 tablespoons of juice from cherries, and beat until well combined.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and cocoa. Add to butter/egg/sugar mixture in thirds, beating after each addition.
- Fold sour cream into batter. Reserve 1/2 cup chocolate, and fold remainder into batter.
- Butter and flour a Bundt cake pan. Spoon about 1/2 cup batter into pan, top with cherries, and repeat layers until all batter and cherries are used. Bake in a preheated 325-degree oven for 1 hour, or until a skewer inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes in pan, then invert onto a rack and cool completely.
- Melt reserved 1/2 cup chocolate with another 2 tablespoons of cherry juice and pour over completely cooled cake for a glaze.
- Serve with a cherry cheesecake ice cream and chocolate syrup, if you really want overkill in the decadence department!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Cherries
Genius Recipes for a Genius Labor Day
Beans! Pimento cheese! pies!
Genius recipes for a genius Labor Day.
Ways to a money-saving kitchen.
Alice Waters's favorite tools.
The Hudson Valley's where it's at.
Get your shine on.