If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I made this for my parents the first time they came to visit me when I'd gone away to college - I love the combination of creamy custard with the sweet and tart cherries. —erinmcdowell
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- pinch salt
- 1 vanilla bean, halved and scraped
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 cups cherries, pitted
- 1 cup toasted coconut
- Coat an eight inch pie pan with butter and granulated sugar.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the milk, half the sugar, the salt, and the vanilla until just about to boil.
- In a large bowl, mix the eggs, remaining sugar, and flour until combined. When the milk is heated, pour some into the egg mixture to temper, mixing constantly. Add the remaining milk, and continue to mix until combined.
- Place the cherries and coconut in the base of the pie pan. Pour the warm custard over the cherries. Bake at 350 degrees until the custard has set, about 20 minutes.
- Dust with confectioner’s sugar and serve warm or at room temperature.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Cherries