Author Notes: Earthy beets and sweet cherries from my garden challenged me to create a dish that would have a complexity of flavors and textures. - REC
- 8 red beets,2 1/2 inches in diameter,scrubbed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons snipped mint
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon sumac
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pitted sweet cherries
- garnish watercress sprigs
- Combine the beets and oil in a 13 x 9 x 2 inch glass baking dish;toss to coat, then bake at 450 degrees uncovered 1 hour or till tender.
- Cool the beets slightly before peeling, then cut each beet into quarters and place them in a shallow serving dish.
- In a small bowl combine the yogurt, onion, mint, sesame seeds, sumac, zest and salt till well mixed, then fold in the cherries.
- Spoon the cherry topping over the beets, garnish with the watercress and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Cherries
Tags: Side Dishes