If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Dutch Babies (aka German Pancakes) make for very happy breakfasts. It's at once fluffy and custardy, and in no time at all you've whipped up a lovely little breakfast for four! The caramelized cherries are bright and beautiful with the pancake. I especially savor the moment when you pour the pancake batter on top of the cherries and the two swirl together in a most delightful fashion. - arielleclementine - arielleclementine
Food52 Review: I've always thought sweet cherries were best eaten raw, while their sour counterparts belonged in pies, jam, and other baked goods. This recipe has me second-guessing my convictions. The cherries, tart from lemon and slicked with butter, bathe in a sauce so shiny and tasty, I'll probably make a double batch of it to jar. The vanilla is the batter gives it the sweet scent it needs without any added sugar, making it the perfect complement to the fruit beneath. - Rivka - The Editors
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 cups fresh cherries, pitted and halved
- 1/2 lemon
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup whole milk, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2/3 cup flour
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Melt butter in 10-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add brown sugar, cherries, and a squeeze of juice from half a lemon and stir to combine. Simmer until the cherries have released some juice, and the sauce is thick and shiny, about 5 minutes.
- While the cherries are caramelizing, place the eggs, milk, vanilla, salt, and flour in a blender and blend for 30 seconds on low speed. Increase the speed to high and blend for one minute more.
- Pour the batter on top of the cherries and transfer to the preheated oven. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the cherry juices are bubbling happily. Serve immediately with a simple dusting of powdered sugar.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Cherries
A Better Way to Prepare Asparagus
Plus a genius dressing.
A better way to prepare asparagus.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
Freshen up for spring.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Drink better coffee.