If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The first time I made Tiramisu from scratch, I swore never to have anything but homemade - it was heavenly and finally I meant how to make Zabaglione. Then scouting through an Ann Willan''s cookbook, I came across a recipe fora gratin of Sabayon (French cousin to Zabaglione) and berries. My version uses warmed cherries with a Zabaglione and finishes off with a crisp flourish of toasted almonds and light brown sugar - Kitchen Butterfly
Cherry gratin with Zabaglione
- 1 portion Zabaglione (recipe below)
- 12 cherries, pitted
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine
- 2 tablespoons raw flaked almonds
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- Preheat your oven's grill/broiler to the highest.
- Share the Zabaglione between two gratin dishes and stud each dish with 6 cherries, juice and all.
- Sprinkle the flaked almonds over the Zabaglione and top with some sugar.
- Place dishes on an oven tray/rack under the grill - about 6 inches from the heat source, for a minute or two, until the Zabaglione is golden brown, and the almonds are toasted. Serve immediately.
- 4 egg yolks
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons Marsala
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon grated tonka beans (optional, use a microplane for best results)
- 1 - 2 tablespoons finely grated orange zest (use a microplane for best results)
- Whisk all the ingredients together except for the orange zest. Place in heat proof bowl over a bain marie filled with hot - but not boiling water, ensuring the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water.
- Whisk continuously till the mixture pales, thickens and is a bit frothy, (It should be able to leave a ribbon trail if the whisk is lifted and moved back and forth.) about 8 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the zest for a couple more minutes. Then use as desired
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Cherries
Too Many Cooks: Who Has Changed the Way You Cook?
Let's talk game changers and influencers.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Simple, Springy Leek Soup
Soda Gum Drops!
The Best Cinnamon Rolls