If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Back when I started keeping my carbs low, I learned how to make lowcarb all-natural ice cream. And when I wanted to make rum raisin, I used cherries (naturally low in sugar) instead of raisins. Discovering I couldn't have dairy either didn't phase me. Coconut milk to the rescue! When you start with good ingredients, the variations are endless and restrictions are just interesting challenges. - cyndin
Makes 1 quart
- 14 ounces Coconut milk (1 can full fat)
- 2 cups Dark sweet cherries
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla
- 1 squeeze Fresh lemon juice
- 1 pinch Salt
- Stevia, to taste
- 2 tablespoons Rum, brandy, or similar liquor
- Use very ripe, fresh, deeply colored cherries. Wash, pit, and remove stems and pack lightly into a measuring cup until you have 2 cups.
- Put all ingredients except stevia into a blender and process until smooth.
- Add stevia to taste. The amount will vary depending on the brand and age of the stevia. Use plain white powder (a brand with fillers is acceptable if you can't find plain but do not use green). Add small amounts, blend, and taste. The liquid will become more and more sweet until it is just right. At this point, add just a touch more so that it is slightly oversweet. The cold will tone it down and bring it back to perfection. Alternate recipe: Use another sweetener of your choice instead of stevia.
- Add the liquor (optional but will help the texture, as well as the taste). Pulse the blender briefly to mix.
- Pour the mixture into an ice cream machine and freeze according to the manufacturer's directions.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Cherries
A Better Way to Prepare Asparagus
Plus a genius dressing.
A better way to prepare asparagus.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
Freshen up for spring.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Drink better coffee.