Author Notes: This is my version of a cake my mother used to make with canned cherries. - MES
Makes 9 inch cake
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon dry yeast
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- pinch salt
- 2 cups pitted, halved cherries
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- Proof yeast in warm water with pinch of sugar. Let stand 10 minutes
- Combine milk sugar, oil, egg and salt. Add yeast and flour. Beat well until batter is smooth.
- Grease 9 inch springform pan and spread batter in it, cover with plastic and let rest about 30 min. until rises slightly. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Make crumb topping: combine melted butter, flour and sugar.
- When batter has risen slightly, spread cherries over it. Top with crumb topping and bake 40-45 min. until slightly colored and cake tester comes out clean. Cool in pan
- Glaze: 1/2 C confectioners' sugar + 1/2T milk. Drizzle over cooled cake.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Cherries