Author Notes: I usually make this Italian Bread Salad with cucumbers, red onions, and feta cheese. This easy, no cook version, replaces the cucumbers with zucchini and yellow squash. I also use chopped green onions and grated Pecorino Romano Cheese. This salad is great for a summer day where one does not have much time to cook! This salad also tastes better the longer it has time to sit in the fridge and marinate. - michelle lynn
- 1/2 French baguette (or day old bread),chopped into chunks
- 1 Zucchini, chopped into chunks
- 1 Yellow Squash chopped into chunks
- 1/2 cup Green Onion, chopped
- 1 Tomato, chopped into chunks
- 1 handful Basil, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Pecorino Romano Cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup Either Red Wine or Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- After chopping the bread, Zucchini, Yellow Squash, and Tomato into cubes, place into a mixing bowl. Mix together.
- Finely chop the basil and add to the mixing bowl. Mix.
- Grate the Pecorino Romano Cheese. Add to mixing bowl. Mix in with the rest of the Panzanella mixture.
- Add the Red Wine or Balsamic Vinegar and the Olive Oil to the mixing bowl. Toss the Panzanella mixture so that it is coated with the Oil and Vinegar mix.
- One can serve this right away but the flavors meld and intensify if this salad is allowed to marinate in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Summer Squash Recipe