If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Living in Texas for four years, I ate my fair share of Mexican food. Incredible Tex Mex and Mexican cuisine could be found everywhere (which is something I dearly miss in DC). I am slowly learning to recreate some of my favorite Mex dishes in the District and this guacamole makes the rotation quite often. I use white onion most of the time since that is what I almost always have on hand. You can also use red onion which lends a sharper onion flavor. Another trick I use is lemon juice! I find that it gives a subtle, bright flavor but also is the best "trick" I have found to keep guacamole fresh for a longer period of time. If you like the flavor of lime juice, sub a bit of lime for the lemon. This is also a great base to use if you want to jazz up your guacamole. Serve with tortilla chips or fresh corn tortillas, on top of a salad, or alongside your favorite Mexican dish. —Plum Pie
- 2 Haas avocados, ripe
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1/2 jalapeno, diced (more if you like it spicy)
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup sweet onion, minced
- 1 small lemon, juiced
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix tomatoes, jalapeno, cilantro, onion, cumin, and lemon juice in a bowl.
- Halve avocado and remove pit. Cut avocado into very thick chunks and place into bowl with the rest of the ingredients.
- With a fork or spoon, mix avocado with the spice ingredients. Mix gently until desired consistency is achieved. I like my guacamole chunky so I try to keep chunky pieces of avocado intact. If you like your guacamole smooth, keep mixing with a fork until you achieve the perfect consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. You can also adjust the heat by adding more jalapeno. You can also add more cilantro if you love cilantro flavor.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dip
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Open House Dish
How to make lemonade without a recipe
Lemonade, sans recipe.
Last day for free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
7 food-filled honeymoons.
Green pesto is so last summer.
Savor the season.