Author Notes: Ground turkey makes all the different to turn this chili con carne into a 'light' version perfect for the summer time! - mtlabor
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 35 ounces can whole tomatoes, chopped and juice reserved
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- 14 ounces can seasoned black beans, drained
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- jalapenos, chopped (optional)
- In a large dutch oven, combine the garlic, onion, bell pepper, tomatoes & juice, chili powder and cumin. Bring to a boil under medium high heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat and simmer for about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Bring the heat back up to medium high and add in ground turkey. Break up the turkey and add in black beans. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and continue to cook for another 8 to 10 minutes, or until turkey is cooked through.
- Ladle chili into bowls and top with shredded cheese and jalapenos.