If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a spin-off from a brunch dish that I recently tried down in the South. If you love fried green or red tomatoes, you will enjoy this creamy egg and tomato dish. - Anita
For the Salad
- 1 bunch arugula
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 tablespoon crumbled blue cheese (optional for the cheese lovers)
For the Tomatoes and Eggs
- 6 eggs
- 2 heirloom tomatoes, green preferably but can also be red
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Slice the tomatoes about 1/2 inch thick, thicker slices hold up better and are less likely to fall apart.
- Beat two eggs. Place the flour, bread crumbs, and beaten eggs in three separate shallow plates. In the meantime heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a non-stick pan on medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, quickly dip the tomatoes in the flour, egg, and then bread crumbs so that you get an even coat on both sides (don't do this ahead of time or you will make glue). Place into the pan. Fry until GBnD (Golden Brown and Delicious), about 2 minutes on each side. Place on paper towel and to soak up excess oil and cover to keep warm (or put in oven to keep warm).
- In the meantime, heat 2 tablespoons of butter in a non-stick pan on medium high. Beat four eggs and once the butter begins to bubble, lower to low heat, add four eggs and scramble - stirring constantly until the eggs are creamy but cooked. Add salt and pepper to taste. Should take no more than about 5-6 minutes. (The eggs will not be creamy if you cook them on high heat.)
- Finally, mix arugula with olive oil and lemon juice and blue cheese crumbles (if desired).
- To assemble, divide the tomato slices evenly amongst each plate. Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper, then top with the creamy scrambled eggs. Surround with arugula salad. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Brunch Eggs
Jam is a Liquid
And other things to keep in mind when traveling with food.
Do not pack these foods in your carry-on.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Let's get chopping.
Macerated strawberries, with a twist.
That was a close shave.