Author Notes: It's a family recipe that has been handed down. - Hiker - Hiker
Food52 Review: It’s a cake. It’s a vegetable. What could be better? Hiker’s recipe calls for 3 squares of chocolate – I went with a dark unsweetened Ghirardelli, I assumed (correctly I think) that something of that sort was called for. I also used a bundt pan because that’s what I have. This is a great cake – not too sweet, with a dense moist sort of sponge texture. Chocolaty, but not overly so. Icing would be too much – we dusted with powdered sugar as recommended. - Aargersi - A&M
Serves 1 cake
- 3 pieces Chocolate squares
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup oil
- 3 cups Sugar
- 3 cups grated zucchini
- 3 cups sifted flour
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Melt chocolate and let cool
- Grease and flour tube cake pan
- Sift all dry ingredients together in a large bowl
- Beat eggs til fluffy, add sugar 1/4 cup at a time
- Add oil and chocolate at low speed, mix well
- Next add dry ingredients.
- Add grated zucchini, mix well
- Bake 350 degrees for 1 hour 15 min until center springs back, can also check with a toothpick
- Cool 15 min. then remove from pan
- This is moist enough that you can serve it without frosting. Dust with powdered sugar.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Summer Squash Recipe