If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a recipe that I learned to make while I studied in Rome, Italy. - weightman43 - weightman43
Food52 Review: I loved this recipe, and I have a feeling it will become a new summer staple. The flavor of the squash sauce is sweet and subtle but by no means boring. It coats the pasta so like a creamy cheese sauce, you'd never guess that there was no cream involved. I did find I used significantly less olive oil in frying my vegetables, and they still came out nicely deep-fried. Also, I mixed the leftovers with some leftover smoked pork for the next day's lunch and the combination was stunning! - fiveandspice - The Editors
- 1 1/3 C cups extra virgin olive oil
- 9 small zucchini or summer squash
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 5/1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 pound fettucine
- 3 tablespoons shaved pecorino peppato
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Cut zucchini into 1/4 inch rounds. Heat 1 cup olive oil in large skillet. Add 2/3 of the zucchini and cook until browned and crispy. Do not crowd pan.Do in two batches if necessary. Transfer to paper towel with slotted spoon. Discard the oil and wipe pan
- Return the pan to the heat and add the remaining 1/3 cup olive oil. Add the onion,garlic, remaining zucchini and 1/2 tsp of the salt. Cook until zucchini are browned and crispy,about 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to bowl of food processor and puree. Return the puree to the pan and keep warm over low heat
- Bring 5 quarts of water to a boil with the remaining salt. Cook the pasta al dente.Drain reserving one cup of the water.
- Add the pasta to the skillet with the zucchini puree and toss to coat. If the sauce is too thick add some pasta water 1/4 at a time. Add the zucchini rounds. Toss to mix well Top with pecorino and drizzle with remaining extra virgin olive oil
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Summer Squash Recipe