If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe was inspired by a 2lb variety bag of summer squash from the Farmer's Market. After getting it home I realized I was faced with a challenge to cook all of it in one easy dish so I could justify falling for a bulk buy. Immediately one of my favorite casseroles including beans and tomato sauce came to mind. Hmm..why not throw in some squash? Brillant. I peek over and see some week old lavash bread that has about one day until retirement. I get the idea to throw that in and layer it like a lasanga. The result equals success confirmed by husband and a new summer casserole staple. —Laci
Serves 6-8 servings as a main dish
- 2 cans of cannellini beans or fresh beans
- 2 cups frozen or fresh corn
- 4 cups diced summer squash
- 2- sheets of Trader Joe's Lavash Bread (or any day old bread)
- 1- 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1-2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1.5 teaspoons cumin
- 1.5 cups shredded asiago cheese (or cheese of your choice)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a cold saucepan on the stove add 1/4 cup olive oil, minced garlic, and a pinch of red peper flakes. Heat on medium until the garlic becomes fragrant then add a can of diced tomatoes and simmer on low for 10 mintues before turning off the heat.
- Combine diced squash, beans, and corn in a bowl. Add a tablespoon of olive oil, cumin, salt, and pepper. (I use a seasoning called "Spike" in place of the salt and pepper).
- Combine the veggie mixture with the tomato sauce.
- Oil a casserole dish and pour in a bottom layer of veggie mixture. Top the veggies with a lavash bread and alternate until you run out of veggies and end with lavash bread on top.
- Bake in the oven until the veggies are cooked through and the tomato sauce is firm. This will take about 30-40 minutes depending on the amount of veggies and sauce used.
- Take the casserole out of the oven and layer the lavash bread with the cheese. Put the casserole back into the oven until the cheese mixture melts.
- Serve hot with a chilled diced avocado on top.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Summer Squash Recipe
No Laffy Matter
How to make peanut butter salt water taffy
How to make salt water taffy.
Independence Day, the no-recipe way.
Free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
Just for the halibut.
Savor the season.