If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Growing up in the Michigan, summertime was the luxurious season of eating from our garden. Every year, my mother lost control when planting the garden, and planted too many summer squash plants. With a bumper crop and neighbors who weren't squash fans, she found many ways to cook the abundant summertime vegetable. This recipe is my updated version on an old family favorite. - EdibleHumor
Panko-Parmesan Summer Squash
- 3-4 summer squash (zucchini and yellow squash)
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan or Asiago cheese
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 eggs (whites only)
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- Removing ends, slice squash into 1/4 inch disks.
- Add next three ingredients in small bowl and mix.
- Separate egg whites into their own bowl, and buttermilk as well, respectively.
- Dip disks into buttermilk, then egg whites, and finally panko crumbs/cheese mixture. Get aggressive with your dredging to make sure squash disks are at their panko-max.
- Heat 3/4 cup of vegetable oil in a heavy skillet. When hot, carefully add squash disks. Turn when browned, about 3 minutes on each side. Remove and drain on plates covered in paper towel. Do in batches, and cover finished squash to keep warm. Add more oil if necessary.
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt 2%
- 2 1/2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons fresh black pepper
- salt to taste
- Pulse first four ingredients in food processor. Stir in remaining ingredients. Pulse once or twice more (if you lose control and over-pulse, dressing will be green.)
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Summer Squash Recipe
These Ballads Are Bananas
Our favorite food-centric songs.
A feast for the ears.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
We're woven this backpack.