If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I am the Mom, this is one of my daughter's favorite recipes that I created one summer when she was in high school. She later used it in her college senior project on the history of women as cooks, and served it as part of her project presentation. It was the only way I could entice my family to eat zucchini! The creme fraiche is a key ingredient along with the mix of squahses and greated cheeses. A mix of Gruyere and Parmesan also works well. - JoanG - JoanG
Food52 Review: JoanG's gratin method -- all in one pan, without the fuss of layering -- is brilliant. Rosemary and three different wings of the onion family roast together with the squash and then the crunchy, cheesy topping is added just for the last 20 minutes. Scallions add intrigue to the standard flavors of shallot & garlic (Note: I'd recommend going for smaller than 1-inch lengths unless you're feeling especially rustic). And if you prefer a saucier gratin, consider upping the creme fraiche. - Kristen - The Editors
- 8-10 baby or small yellow squash and zucchin (or 3 medium sized) sliced into rounds that are ¼ inch thick
- 6 trimmed scallions, trimmed and cut into 1 inch lengths
- 1 large shallots, sliced thin
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 2 springs rosemary, leaves only
- 3 tablespoons crème fraiche
- 2 slices of good whole wheat toast, crumbled
- 3/4 cup grated Swiss and Manchego cheese, mixed together
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon course sea salt
- Place fist five ingredients in a buttered gratin pan.
- Drizzle with 2 Tbsp olive oil and sprinkle with coarse sea salt and toss until everything is coated.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30-40 minutes. Squash should be tender butnot completely limp.
- Take the pan out from the oven and toss squash again. Top with with dollops of creme friahce, then sprinkle on the bread crumbs, then the shreeded cheese.
- Drizzle the remaining 1 Tbsp olive oli over the top. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper.Return pan to oven and bake unitl the crush is nicely browned and crisp. About 20 minutes.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for The Recipe You Want To Be Remembered For
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Summer Squash Recipe
Too Many Cooks: Who Has Changed the Way You Cook?
Let's talk game changers and influencers.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Simple, Springy Leek Soup
Soda Gum Drops!
The Best Cinnamon Rolls