Author Notes: This is an old recipe my former mother-in-law used to make for family gatherings and holidays. It is a simple recipe with readily available ingredients. Nothing fancy but everyone asks for the recipe when I take it to a church dinner or a pot luck. I hope you enjoy it too. - rhondahoffman
- 3 cups squash, sliced, cooked and drained
- 1 Medium onion, chopped, cooked with the squash
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup saltine crackers, crushed
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 6 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the squash and onion together in a small amount of water until squash is tender. Drain and set aside.
- Add the cheese and butter to the hot squash. Allow to melt while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Beat the eggs slightly and add to the milk to combine. Add to squash mixture.
- Add the crushed saltines and salt and pepper to taste. Pour into a greased 9 X 13 baking dish. Bake 45 minutes or until edges brown and center is set.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Summer Squash Recipe