If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a perfect one-dish meal for one for those of us who are trying to eat a bit lighter these days. (Too much ice cream, too many cookies, cheese, an awful lot of butter and creme fraiche...you know what I'm saying.) I used squash and spring onions from my weekly CSA ration--it can be modified however you like. You can easily multiply it, and it would be good with some brown rice or a little pasta. I made it pretty tart because I love lemon, but feel free to adjust the seasoning however you like. Butter at the end will enhance the sauce, but I kept it optional for those of us who are trying to lose the Food52 five pounds! —drbabs
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 yellow squash, cut in half lengthwise, and then sliced into 1/2 " thick half-moons
- 1 spring onion or shallot, sliced thin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/8-1/4 cups chicken broth or stock
- juice and zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 pound large to jumbo shrimp, peeled
- 1/4 cup white wine (I used Viognier)
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
- 1-2 tablespoons butter (optional)
- Saute the onions and squash (with a little salt) in the olive oil till they start to become translucent and brown gently. Pour in the chicken broth, and cook, stirring frequently till squash softens and broth reduces.
- Push the vegetables to one side of the pan, turn the heat up, and pan saute the shrimp till barely cooked through, turning once.
- Pour in the white wine and deglaze the pan, stirring up any brown bits as the sauce reduces. Stir in butter if using.
- Serve with some chopped parsley sprinkled on the top. Feel virtuous.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Summer Squash Recipe
Cut to the Chase
How to take care of your cutting boards
Take care of your cutting boards.
Genius recipes for a genius Labor Day.
Alice Waters's favorite tools.
Un-junk your closet (or hide it).
Get your shine on.