If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The delicate flavors of zucchini and yellow squash intensify when baked with layers of Parmesan cheese, tomatoes, and caramelized onions. Unlike most gratins which have a rich white sauce, I use Parmesan cheese and a layer of caramelized onions and garlic to make this dish creamy and flavorful. Tastes delectable with some chunks of crusty bread to sop up the luscious juices. This gratin is easy to make, and can be assembled up to 6 hours in advance, covered, and kept at room temperature until time to be baked. - Kiss the Cook
- 6 large plum tomatoes, sliced in 1/4 inch slices
- 2 zucchinis, sliced in 1/4 inch slices
- 2 yellow squash, sliced in 1/4 inch slices
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil plus more for oiling baking dish
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Coat a large baking dish with olive oil.
- In a large skillet, heat extra-virgin olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions, sea salt and black pepper and cook until the onions are very soft and caramelized, about 15 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute more.
- Layer the dish with half of the tomato slices and then all of the yellow squash slices. Sprinkle with half the grated Parmesan and all of the fresh basil. Pour the caramelized onion mixture over in a even layer. Then, add the zucchini slices and the final layer of tomatoes. Top with remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and broil for 3 minutes or caramelized and until crispy on top. This gratin is equally good warm or at room temperature, making it a perfect do-ahead dish.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Summer Squash Recipe
How to Judge a Person by Their Ice Cream Choice
Are you a King Cone or a Klondike Bar?
Choose your ice cream wisely.
Brown butter Nutella skillet cookie.
Fire up the grill.
Festive Felt Barbecue Banners
Portable picnic snacks.