Author Notes: Both scallops and yellow squash are sweet and delicate so they make a perfect pair. The sea scallops are tender, sweet morsels, both succulent and savory, with a caramelized golden crusty top and bottom. A light coating of lemony cream sauce enhances the flavors of the scallops and yellow squash not overpowering them. I like to serve the delicate dish with fluffy couscous. This simple recipe has a very nice balance. - Kiss the Cook
- 2 medium yellow squash, cut thin pieces
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound sea scallops, rinsed and patted dry
- 4 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 1 10-ounce package of whole wheat couscous, prepared according to box directions
- Sprinkle sea scallops with sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper on both sides. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the scallops to the skillet. Sauté until golden and caramelized, and just cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer the scallops to a bowl and cover with aluminum foil. Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil, the scallions, and yellow squash to the skillet and sauté for 2 minutes. Transfer to bowl with the scallops. Add the chicken stock, cream, lemon juice, and zest to the skillet and simmer for 4 minutes or until thickened slightly. Add the scallops, yellow squash, and any juices from the bowl and cook until just heated through.
- Pour seared scallops and yellow squash with lemon cream over fork-fluffed whole wheat couscous and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Summer Squash Recipe