Author Notes: I have been playing with zucchini ideas, now trying to streamline the process. A very quick stove top method is suggested first, with an oven baked method given second. Additional ideas for decorative effect, I just can't resist. I have always loved playing with green stripes with zucchini, but this is quite optional! My minute button zucchinis, which can be presented like a button card, are stuffed with a Cypress grilling cheese. You could stuff them with anything, such as rice, potatoes or other cheeses, especially with the oven method. You just want a stuffing that would stay together for the stove top method. - Sagegreen
- 1 zucchini, 9 inches trimmed
- 1/4 pound Hallaoumi, a sheep/goat grilling cheese
- or other stuffings as you choose
- 1 sprig of lemon thyme
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 1 slice of vidalia onion
- olive oil for cooking
- dollops of sour cream
- fresh herbs for garnish (thyme, parsely)
- One decorative step that I think is worth the extra time at the beginning is to create vertical green stripes on the zucchini by peeling alternate lengths. But if you are in a rush, then simply begin by horizontally cutting the zucchini into 3 inch segments. Hollow out the middle half inch cylinder in each. An apple corer works very well for this.
- Cut the grilling cheese into 3 one half inch length cylinders and insert into the hollowed zucchinis.
- Cut the stuffed zucchinis into @1/3 inch width rounds.
- Heat a heavy pan and add a thin coating of olive oil.
- Brown the zucchini rounds quickly on one side and add the cherry tomatoes and onion slices.
- Turn over. Continue to cook on the other side until tender, about 5-7 minutes time total. Serve with a dollop of sour cream and garnish with fresh herbs.
- For the oven method: preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a shallow baking dish with olive oil and add the vegetables. One photo shows a small baking dish of zucchini buttons stuffed with feta cheese, ready for the oven. Bake about 35-40 minutes. Garnish with sour cream and fresh herbs.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Summer Squash Recipe