If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I have been playing with zucchini ideas, now trying to streamline the process. A very quick stove top method is suggested first, with an oven baked method given second. Additional ideas for decorative effect, I just can't resist. I have always loved playing with green stripes with zucchini, but this is quite optional! My minute button zucchinis, which can be presented like a button card, are stuffed with a Cypress grilling cheese. You could stuff them with anything, such as rice, potatoes or other cheeses, especially with the oven method. You just want a stuffing that would stay together for the stove top method. —Sagegreen
- 1 zucchini, 9 inches trimmed
- 1/4 pound Hallaoumi, a sheep/goat grilling cheese
- or other stuffings as you choose
- 1 sprig of lemon thyme
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 1 slice of vidalia onion
- olive oil for cooking
- dollops of sour cream
- fresh herbs for garnish (thyme, parsely)
- One decorative step that I think is worth the extra time at the beginning is to create vertical green stripes on the zucchini by peeling alternate lengths. But if you are in a rush, then simply begin by horizontally cutting the zucchini into 3 inch segments. Hollow out the middle half inch cylinder in each. An apple corer works very well for this.
- Cut the grilling cheese into 3 one half inch length cylinders and insert into the hollowed zucchinis.
- Cut the stuffed zucchinis into @1/3 inch width rounds.
- Heat a heavy pan and add a thin coating of olive oil.
- Brown the zucchini rounds quickly on one side and add the cherry tomatoes and onion slices.
- Turn over. Continue to cook on the other side until tender, about 5-7 minutes time total. Serve with a dollop of sour cream and garnish with fresh herbs.
- For the oven method: preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a shallow baking dish with olive oil and add the vegetables. One photo shows a small baking dish of zucchini buttons stuffed with feta cheese, ready for the oven. Bake about 35-40 minutes. Garnish with sour cream and fresh herbs.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Summer Squash Recipe
Get Baking This Labor Day
These recipes are worth a little kitchen labor
Get baking this Labor Day.
Make these recipes before it's too late.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
Our staff's best storage tips.
Storage made crystal clear.