If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I was inspired by a Thai Basil Shrimp dish I recently had at a local Thai restaurant, but I wanted a little crunch! The Thai Basil Fritter was born! - aiimi - aiimi
Food52 Review: These wonderful little fritters combine flavorful shrimp marinated in soy sauce, garlic and chiles with a strong dose of basil in wonderful fluffy dough. Though aiimi doesn't specify, I used Thai basil with great success. - Stephanie - The Editors
- 1 pound fresh shrimp (shells removed, de veined and chopped)
- 2 tablespoons Fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons Soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Fresh ginger (finely grated)
- 1/2 teaspoon Red pepper flake
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Garlic (chopped)
- 3 Eggs (beaten)
- 1 1/2 cups Milk
- 2 teaspoons Baking powder
- 3 1/2 cups Flour
- 1/4 cup Fresh basil (finely chopped)
- Oil or Fat for frying
- Combine in a large zip top bag, fish sauce, soy sauce, sugar, ginger and red pepper flake and chopped shrimp. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a large pan, add butter and heat on medium high heat until melted. Add garlic and heat for 30 seconds.
- Add shrimp and cook for 3 minutes or until shrimp are pink, stirring so that the garlic does not turn brown. Once done, remove from heat and set aside.
- Combine in a large bowl, eggs, milk and baking powder. Whisk very well until incorporated.
- To the bowl, slowly add flour, stirring to incorporate.
- Stir in basil. You want a smooth batter, so stir well!
- Fold in shrimp.
- In a dutch oven or fryer, heat oil/fat to 350 degrees. Drop a large tablespoon full of the fritter mix into the hot oil or fat. Fry a few at a time. Do not crowd the fryer!
- Fry until fritters are a nice golden brown. Do not forget to turn them so that they brown evenly. Once done, remove from oil and drain on paper towels.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Using Fresh Basil
The Underrated Pantry Hero
A love you never knew you had for Cracklin' Oat Bran.
Cereal = Dessert
A Carry-On Cocktail Kit
Recipe of the Day
The Daily Grind
A Shoo-In Salad