Author Notes: I had so many tomatoes from my garden last year that I had to think of ways to use all of them. Recipes that would use a lot of them!!! I found several recipes for tomato soup and then I put the best parts of all of them together to create my version. - liz boyer
Serves 6-8 or more
- 9-10 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups Vidalia onions, chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 28 oz can chopped tomatoes, with juice
- 4 cups packed with shredded fresh basil
- 1 quart chicken stock
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, saute the onions and garlic with some of the olive oil, the butter, and red pepper flakes until the onions start to brown.
- Add all of the tomatoes, basil, and chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 40 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to puree everything in the pot. The basil will still be in strips and pieces, but everything else will be blended.
- Season to taste with the salt and pepper. If the tomatoes are very acidic, you may want to add a little sugar.
- Optional: 1 cup of cream or half and half may be added at this time. It is very good without it. This soup is also very good cold.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Using Fresh Basil