Author Notes: This is a great way to make caprese that is 'finger food' - it also holds up well at potluck events and is great for vegetarians. Nice thing about this is that you can be as fancy or as basic as you want. Sometimes you may want to cut the grape tomatoes and mozzarella in half when assembling the skewer - putting the cut side towards each other with a piece of basil in between. - pattycake
Makes a lot
- 1 lg bunch fresh basil
- 1 pint mozzarella in water
- 1 container grape tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons EVOO
- 3 tablespoons good balsamic vinegar
- 1 handful toothpicks
- Soak toothpicks in balsamic vinegar
- Rinse tomatoes, either keep whole or slice in half
- Drain Mozzarella, either keep whole or slice in half
- pluck whole leaves off basil stems
- thread tomato, cheese and basil, alternating, on toothpicks. keep enough room at one end to be able to hold the toothpick.
- drizzle extra virgin olive oil on finished skewers.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Using Fresh Basil