If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I'm a sucker for homemade...everything, and a hater of waste. While I haven't done the tomato ketchup home variety, I've sugar-preserved blood oranges, made citrus salts and vanilla extract. Recently, I added vanilla powder to the list, by accident. An attempt to plump up my beans in the microwave resulted in crisp pods....which crumbled in my hands. Moments later, all blitzed up, I had vanilla powder. It is easy to make it and is far cheaper than buying......so go ahead, give it a try, especially if you tire of putting yet another empty pod in sugar! - Kitchen Butterfly
Serves a lot
- vanilla pods (whole/deseeded)
- Microwave vanilla pods on your highest setting, for 20 - 30 seconds or more till the pods puff up and become crisp. Note that it will depend on various factors how quickly this happens. 1) The dryness of the pores prior to heating and 2) Your microwave.
- Once puffed up, let cook down and then blitz in your food processor/spice grinder/coffee grinder till smooth.
- Store in an airtight container (and refrigerate).
- When a recipe calls for extract, use half the amount of vanilla powder.
- I love the fact that it has an amazing smell and flavour but it also gives you the speckles of vanilla seeds. It is also perfect for people who don't take alcohol for religious or other reasons.
- Uses - make a compound butter with a spoonful of maple syrup and lemon zest for a delicious and scented breakfast spread. Add some to your next batch of curd, from lemon to orange…and even coconut milk and lime. Sprinkle some in olive oil, along with a pinch of red chili pepper and serve as a simple dip with bread. And of course, make on-the-fly vanilla sugar and salt, without waiting weeks to infuse via dried up pods
Why the Simplest Recipes Are Still Worthwhile
Cheer up with chickpeas.
Goya's Balsamic Chickpea Salad
The sun is out: Are you?
Good day, sunshine.
Gifts for Mother's Day
Make better cookies.