If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I have made this as an appetizer many times and it never fails to surprise your guests. The consomme is clear and looks just like water so they are dumfounded upon tasting to be blasted by basil and tomato followed by the shrimp. - thirschfeld - thirschfeld
Food52 Review: This recipe fits right into the new food category of Dishes of the Senses. An amuse bouche that looks like a 'dirty martini' but bursts in your mouth to release an explosion of tomatoes, basil and salt. Not what you would expect but happy to have had the experience. A great way to start a meal and the table conversation. Could not have been easier to prepare. - MarvelousMaxie - The Editors
Serves 4 as a amuse bouche
- 2 pounds heirloom tomatoes, yellow, cherry whatever you have on hand
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 4 shrimp, poached in your favorite way
- cilantro leaves for garnish
- Place the tomatoes, basil, salt, pepper and vinegar into a food processor and blend. Let it sit for an hour.
- Place a wet, clean, and free of smelly wash soap dish towel in a colander set over a bowl. Place the puree into the towel, cover it with plastic wrap and then put the whole contraption into the fridge. Let it sit overnight or longer.
- All you are going to use is the water left in the bowl so carefully remove the pulp towel and discard the pulp.
- To serve fill four apertif glasses with equal amounts of chilled tomato consomme, hang a shrimp on the rim, garnish the consomme with a leaf of cilantro and serve.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Using Fresh Basil
Travel Like Anthony Bourdain
Tips for when you visit parts unknown.
Travel like Anthony Bourdain
Mother's Day Baking Projects
Fire up the grill.
Festive Felt Barbecue Banners
Portable picnic snacks.