Author Notes: I’m so glad swordfish is back and sustainable. I’ve loved grilling it since a long-ago event at Chicago’s Shedd Aquarium where the chef simply sprinkled the fish with freshly ground white pepper and squirted fresh lime juice over. Whole Foods had harpoon-caught swordfish on special last weekend, so we had this for dinner last night. Easy-peasy! -ChefJune - ChefJune
Food52 Review: The lemon-caper sauce was fresh and clean, and contrasted nicely with the smoky meatiness of the swordfish. This is a quick and easy recipe that’s great for summer eating. - frozenfoodie - A&M
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large lemon, peeled, cut crosswise into 8 1/4" slices, seeded, with all the juice
- 2 tablespoons drained nonpareil capers
- Sea salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste
- 3 swordfish steaks cut 1 1/4-inch thick (about 1 pound each)
- 3 tablespoons (very green) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped parsley for garnish
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan over medium low heat. Stir constantly until the butter is light brown, about 3 minutes.
- Cut the lemon slices into quarters. Add them (with their juice), and the capers, to the saucepan. Reduce the heat and cook, shaking the pan several times, until the lemon and capers are heated through, about 1 minute. Taste for and correct seasoning.
- Light a grill or preheat the broiler. Brush the swordfish with olive oil on both sides. Sprinkle with salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste.
- Grill or broil the swordfish about 4 inches from the heat, turning once, until charred outside and still slightly pink in the center (3 to 4 minutes per side).
- Transfer the swordfish to a large platter and cut into thick strips. Pour the lemon and caper sauce over the fish and serve immediately, garnished with the chopped parsley.
- Wine Tip: Juicy whites are most refreshing in summer. There are a whole host of tasty and affordable bottles in that category. We drank Albariño from Martin Codax (and also toasted Spain’s win in the World Cup!)
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Barbecue
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Citrus Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Swordfish Recipe