Author Notes: In college I bartended at Legal Seafood Restaurant in Cambridge, a New England institution. They made a fantastic swordfish kebab. Years later, when I lived in Europe I tried to create a marinade inspired by Legal's kebabs. This is the recipe I came up with, and since then it has been my go-to marinade for grilled fish. It also works well with salmon, halibut or any other steak-like fish. - TasteFood
- 1 medium yellow onion, grated, with juices
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 pounds swordfish steaks, cut in 1 1/2" chunks
- 12 bamboo skewers, pre-soaked
- flat leaf parsley for garnish
- Combine onion, olive oil, soy sauce, lemon juice, mustard, pepper and salt in a large bowl; whisk together.
- Add fish to marinade and toss gently to coat. Refrigerate one hour and up to 3 hours.
- Preheat grill or oven broiler. Thread 4 pieces of fish on each skewer.
- Grill, turning, until fish is brown and just cooked through, 6-8 minutes. Arrange on platter and garnish with parsley leaves.
- Optional: Alternate swordfish chunks with 1" pieces of red onion, red and yellow bell pepper pieces.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Swordfish Recipe