If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: We have been experiencing a really hot, steamy summer in New York City. Because of this, I have been on a quest to use the stove as little as possible. The Lentil Salad with Beets is great because you cook once and eat several times. Served cold it's great for lunch or dinner on a hot day. If you are looking for a short cut, Trader Joe's offers cooked lentils. The first night we ate this as a side dish (in the photo), but we ate the leftovers as a meal. The recipe is inspired by one from Martha Stewart. - City Share
- 6 cups water
- 1 1/2 cup French lentils
- 3 medium beets, scrubbed
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup Olive oil
- 2 shallots, chopped
- pinches salt
- 4 carrots, chopped
- salad greens
- goat cheese
- Bring water and lentils to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer uncovered until the lentils are tender, about 20 to 25 minutes. Drain and put aside to cool in a mixing bowl.
- Meanwhile, place beets in a medium saucepan. Add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, cooking until fork-tender. Remove beets from water, and set aside until cool enough to handle. Peel and slice.
- In a measuring cup, combine the mustard, balsamic vinegar, cider vinegar, salt and oil. Add the shallots. Mix the vinaigrette dressing, lentils and carrots. Cover and place in the refrigerator to chill.
- When ready to serve, layer the greens, lentil mixture, sliced beets and crumble soft goat cheese over the top.