Author Notes: Shredded parmesan cheese and minced garlic make this burger extra juicy. Lightly sautéing the vine-ripened tomatoes marinated in red wine vinegar, honey and basil infuses the sweet and tangy flavors of the simple vinaigrette. Salty prosciutto grilled crisp and melted mozzarella give Italian flavor to an American favorite. - Kiss the Cook - Kiss the Cook
Food52 Review: A wonderful twist on a bacon cheeseburger. Kiss the Cook hits all the right elements and gives them an Italian twist: crunchy, salty prosciutto, melty cheese, a kiss of sweet tomatoes and mustard all with a juicy, flavorful patty. - Stephanie - A&M
- 3 vine-ripened tomatoes (about 2 cups), seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
Grilled Prosciutto and Parmesan Garlic Burger
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 4 tablespoons finely shredded, not grated, parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to tasted
- 6 slices proscuitto
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, shredded
- 6 whole-grain hamburger buns, toasted
- canola mayonnaise
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, parmesan cheese, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, salt and pepper. Use your hands to mix the ingredients until just combined and shape into 6 patties. Place on a lined baking sheet, cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- To make Marinated Tomatoes: In a small fire-proof skillet, combine olive oil, vinegar, honey, mustard, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add tomatoes and coat with marinade. When patties are ready to be cooked, preheat your grill on medium-high heat. and place the skillet with the marinated tomatoes in it directly on the grill. Sauté 2 to 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Remove from heat, and stir in basil. Set aside.
- Grill the burgers, flipping once until desired doneness. Meanwhile, grill the prosciutto slices until slightly crisp, about 1 minute, then flip and grill for another 30 seconds. Set aside.
- To assemble the burger, spread mayonnaise on toasted bun and place a meat patty on top. Layer with a slice of grilled prosciutto, shredded mozzarella, and a heaping tablespoon of marinated tomatoes. Top with toasted bun.