If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: made up in my head as I love flavorful beef. - alettajocius - alettajocius
Food52 Review: This burger demands that you go big or go home. The patties are huge and packed with flavor. The charred tomatillos and jalapenos are wonderful. You can make your own Pilsen spice from a mix of garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, oregano and pepper flakes. - Stephanie - The Editors
Serves 4 burgers
- 1.5 pounds Ground beef
- .5 pounds Chorizo sausage, removed from casing
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1.5 teaspoons salt, reserving .5 for tomatillos
- 1 teaspoon Pilsen seasoning (Found at Spice House, Evanston or Geneva, IL)
- 4 slices pepper jack cheese
- 4 tomatillos, depending on size
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 jalapenos, rib and seeds removed, sliced
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce (from can of chipotle)
- 4 Onion brioche rolls, split
- 1 Avocado, mashed
- Make mayonnaise by combining adobo sauce and mayo. Set aside in fridge.
- To make burgers, bring ground beef (80/20 is best for this application) and chorizo to room temperature or just above. Place both meats in large bowl, adding spices. Mix by hand until combined, but not mushy. Make into patties, creating a small well/dip in the middle to keep the burger's shape. Keep in fridge for 30 mins.
- While beef is resting, slice tomatillos and sprinkle w/ salt and gently toss with canola oil. Place in grill pan or on hot grill to char and tenderize. When tomatillos are fork-tender, remove and place on plate to keep shape. In remaining oil/juices, toss sliced jalapenos until tender and wilted. Keep aside.
- Remove beef/chorizo mixture from fridge 15 mins prior to grilling. During that time, prepare grill for burgers or griddle for flat-top cooking. Place burgers on grill and cook to desired doneness, adding cheese and melting. Butter and grill brioche buns in the last few minutes and spread prepared mayonnaise on buns. Mash avocados when near ready. Place bun on mayo and top with jalapenos, then tomatillos. Spread avocado on top bun. Enjoy!