If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Amanda's "Radler" reminded me of a northern German beer, the Berliner Weisser, which sometimes is served with a shot of Waldmeister, a sweet woodruff flavored syrup for drinks. The drink is a lovely shade of green. I used to walk through the Grunewald in Berlin to a docked ship called the Alte Liebe and have lunch for one of these during a year I lived there. Alternatively, you could get a shot of raspberry instead. So I made one more foreign-inspired burger for dinner tonight, even though the classic American burgers seem to be our most beloved. It was a hunt to find the beer and syrup today, but they were both in town! Berliner Weisse Mit Schuß is the official name of the drink itself. I did add some to the beef before cooking. The burger is really delicious with fresh chives and the beer in the mix. The drink is perfect with this, too. My photos do not do this justice. —Sagegreen
- 1 pound mix of ground sirloin and chuck
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon Berliner Weisser beer
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 yellow onions, sliced
- olive oil for cooking
- 20 tiny gherkins
- 4 good rolls/Brötchen
- 4 tablespoons whole grain dijon mustard
- 16 ounces pomme frites
- 4-8 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- green tomato pickles as garnish
- 4 Berliner Weisser mit Schuss (4 beers of this type with Waldmeister shots to each)
- Add chives and 1 tablespoon Berliner Weisser beer to the ground beef and form patties.
- Add salt and pepper to both sides.
- Heat a heavy pan and add olive oil. Saute the onions.
- Sear the patties and cook until medium rare.
- Serve with mustard and onions on hard rolls with pomme frites and vinegar, gherkins, and green tomato pickles. Add a Berliner Weisse mit Schuss for the drink.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Beef Burgers
Shop at the Food52 Office
We're having a open house!
Shop at the Food52 office.
Trailblazing snacks to pack.
New to the Shop.
(Home) brew on this.
Get whisked away.