If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The combination of tomato and watermelon was inspired by the popular salad. I decided to turn this summertime favorite into a palate pleasing granita. The Agave-Mint syrup is a perfect topping for this most interesting dessert. If Brandywine tomatoes are not available, try another "sweet" heirloom variety. - AnnaRosa - AnnaRosa
Food52 Review: I was dubious but curious going into this recipe: Do watermelon and tomato really go together? The first taste sent my tastebuds in a tailspin: It's watermelon, no, it's tomato, no, watermelon! Rather than really harmonious, the flavors seesawed back and forth. Then I added the mint-agave syrup and it really pulled it together. Now I appreciate the refreshing, summery flavor that's got a can't-quite-put-my-finger-on-it quality. It would work well as a palate cleanser for a molecular gastronomy meal *or* in a paper cone at a kid's birthday party. Now that's flexibility! - vrunka - The Editors
Serves approx. 2 cups
Brandywine Tomato and Watermelon Granita
- 3 cups 1-inch watermelon cubes, seeds removed
- 1 cup peeled, seeded, and chopped brandywine tomato
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced crystalized ginger
- juice of one lemon
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup light agave nectar
- 8-12 fresh mint leaves
- For the Granita: In a food processor, process watermelon and next five ingredients together until smooth. Strain, pressing to extract liquid.
- Pour into a non-metallic shallow wide pan and freeze for one hour. Stir with a fork and freeze for another hour. Stir and freeze for one more hour or until firm.
- Stir once more and serve in cups drizzled with Agave-Mint Syrup and garnished with fresh mint sprig and lemon, if desired.
- Warm agave nectar and mint leaves together gently over low heat. Remove from heat and let steep for five minutes. Carefully remove mint, scraping syrup off mint leaves if necessary. Serve with Brandywine Tomato and Watermelon Granita.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Using Heirloom Tomatoes
Jam is a Liquid
And other things to keep in mind when traveling with food.
Do not pack these foods in your carry-on.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Let's get chopping.
Macerated strawberries, with a twist.
That was a close shave.