If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This rendition of Salsa Huevona, literally the lazy (wo)man’s salsa, requires a tad bit more time with the knife than most other recipes. Usually a cook will dice the pepper about the same size as the other ingredients, which is fine if you’re using a very mild pepper or if ya don’t mind randomly chomping down on a huge chunk of heat .
But when using habañeros, I would suggest finely mincing them with garlic (mom always told me the garlic cuts the sting and tempers the ensuing stomach ache) so that the oils immediately infuse the salsa with piquant and savory flavor. This little trick also gives the salsa consistent kick with every bite. —gabrielaskitchen
- 3 (3 c.) medium tomatoes (heirloom, vine ripe or roma)
- 1 bunch (1 c.) green onion
- 1 (1 c.) red onion
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 habañero (mild), two if you like it hot!
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 lime
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- Wash and dry your ingredients. Chop each of the tomatoes into approximately 1 cm. chunks. Chop the bunch of green onions 1 inch above rooted ends, discard the roots and cut stems at half inch intervals. Chop the red onion about the same size as the green onion. Chop the cilantro. Place all ingredients in a large bowl with the juice of one lime.
- Finely dice the habañero and garlic so that it is almost paste-like. Sprinkle with 1/2 Tbs. salt. Add to the large bowl and gently but thoroughly toss ingredients together. Chill for 1/2 hour.
- Serve with freshly fried corn tortilla chips, store will do, but homemade is always better. This salsa is also delicious added to scrambled eggs.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dip
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Using Heirloom Tomatoes
Get Baking This Labor Day
These recipes are worth a little kitchen labor
Get baking this Labor Day.
Make these recipes before it's too late.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
Our staff's best storage tips.
Storage made crystal clear.